Monday, December 23, 2013

Basket Weave Tessellation

This is designed by Joel Cooper, and the diagrams and crease pattern appear in Gjerde’s Book “Origami Tessellations" though he also posted the crease pattern in his website.
http://www.origamitessellations.com/2006/11/joel-coopers-basket-weave-crease-pattern/
When I made the Roman Church Floor Tilling (d. b. Christiane Bettens) it’s longest length was only 14.2 cm across (I always start with an 8.5” X 8.5” construction paper or a hexagon cut from the said dimensions), so you could really see the great decrease in size of the paper.
I thought it was the smallest I made, until I made the Basket Weave thingy.
From a hexagon cut from an 8.5” X 8.5” construction paper, I got a (longest length) 12.1 cm tessellation. It’s really cute though.
image
You can easily see why it is called “Basket Weave.” I come from the Philippines and baskets woven from rattan are very common here. It’s one of the products my country is well-known for.
It also looks great with back-lighting.
imageIn the book, It is considered as one of the easy projects.
BUT there is a flaw in the directions on how to make the tessellation. The photographed instructions only involve ONE open-back hexagon twist. But, of course, let us not rely in the instructions and try to discover the possibilities ourselves.
Okay, somehow I got a very serious tone there…..I LOVE PIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...